Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Life

"I know that the personell in this locker room isn't overwhelming, but how hard we play is."

-Chuck Hayes

This quote embodies the reason for my living. I know everyone knows that I love the Rockets, but in reality, they don't know. My love runs deeper than the "love" everyone else understands and knows. My love is my life. I would honestly take a bullett for any Rocket. Any Rocket. I would allow my life to be taken if it meant that the City of Houston could enjoy another Rocket World Championship. It's a passion that few in this world have the blessesed opportunity to experience.

Then, there are the Noles. Wow. The love runs even deeper. Besides my family and immidiate friends, there is nothing of greater importance in my life. My life may seem boring. It may seem stagnant. It may seem that it has no fun. But, you are wrong. My life is full. My life is complete. The feeling I get from watching us drive down the field and score with 1 minute and 30 seconds left after trailing by 4 points is all I need. It is a much greater feeling than anyone could imagine. It is difficult for others to understand, and I understand this.

An individual must have courage to feel the way I do about the Rockets and the Noles. It is a commitment. It is a lifestyle. It means ditching those around you that care most about you on a Friday or Saturday night to watch a sporting event. In the end, though, it is these people that understand you most. It is these people that respect what you stand for the most. Respect is all we have.

I truely believe in this quote: "We can't run from what we are. Our destiny chooses us."

The Rockets and the Noles chose me.

It is my personal belief that I was put on this earth for 2 things: to be a Nole fan and to be a Rocket fan. These two things are my priority. It is what I have. It is what will always be. They will never go away.

These two things cause heartache. They cause sadness. They cause confusion. They cause happiness. They cause belief. They cause dreaming. They cause greatness.

The Rockets and the Noles are more pure than anything else in this world. They do it all. Every single emotion you could possibly feel are embodied by the Rocket Organization and the Florida State University.

Don't get me wrong- I am a family and friend first guy. If one of my brothers, or one of my best friends needed ANYTHING, that would take precident over the Noles or the Rockets. But, after that, the Rockets and the Noles are all I have. They are me. They are the most pure thing in my life.

The Rocket's roster is an oxymoron. Saying "the NBA player Chuck Hayes" is an oxymoron. It doesn't make sense. Jerome Solomen (a Houston Chronicle writer) said the other day that if "Brian Cook and Chuck Hayes are in your starting lineup, it's either preseason or your team stinks". I took this personally. It hurt my inside. It cut me deep. It makes me sick that someone who follows our city's sports franchises and gets paid to be an "expert" comes out and says something so damning and ignorant about one of OUR guys. The Wagon is the butt of many jokes, and he NEVER lets it affect his play. He is the underdogg. The definition of the underdogg. And he doesn't shy away. He plays with his heart. And I'm sorry to say this Jerome, but it is these players that make teams great, not stink. It is players like Chuck that make sports pure. I wouldn't trade Chuck Hayes for any great four or five man- Dwight, Pau, LaMarcus, Dirk, ect.- because they couldn't hold Chuck's jockstrap when it comes to value for THIS team. We are going to hit stretches where the going gets tough. But I promise you that we won't back down. We will wear our hearts on our sleeves and fight. There is no quit in this team.

I may be getting over-emotional about this. After all, it is only the 3rd game of the season. But I feel it. I commited to this team and this commitment doesn't break for anybody. The Rockets and the Noles are what's great in my life. They are what makes me happy. And, if you have a problem understanding this, or if this love pisses you off then you are just jealous. I am truely blessed to have this purity in my life. I don't need anything else other than the Rocks, the Noles, Family and close friends.

I know I have not gotten into X's and O's about yesterday's victorious games, and I'm not going to. The metaphore that is yesterday, is much deeper. Yesterday made me truely greatful for what I have. I know it sounds weird, but it's true.

In closing, I want to say how excited I am for the Noles to be going to Death Valley next weekend to take on the Clemson Tigers in a prime time game. Our defense may not be up to snuff, but we will play hard. And all true Nole fans out there will follow this team, believe in this team, and want this team to suceed. Success is only achieved when everyone involved is commited. I am calling out all Noles to stand behind this team. It will be worth it in the end. I know we are just 4-4, but it is imperative that we stand our ground and give it everything we have as fans.

I would also like to express my excitement to having 79 more Rocket's games. We play in Utah tomorrow and against the Lakers on Wednesday. That is a Portland-Oakland-Portland-Mormon-Laker start to the season. Thank you for throwing us a bone NBA. Before tipoff of our first game at Portland, I said to myself that a 1-4 start to this opening stretch would be okay. But, after watching our team play, I readjusted my thoughts. Why not go 4-1? Who am I to set expectations on this team? I am in no position to do such a thing. Why can't we go all the way and win another Championship with our current roster? Why can't Tracy come back and be the player we all know he can be? Why can't Yao make miracles happen and come back at the end of the year for the playoff push? It was completly irresponsible for me to make expectations. There is no reason why these things can't happen. This is the greatness that this team instills in people. It is the greatness of sport. I truely believe we are going to win it all. The Rocket's propaganda has worked on me.

On another note, Snoop Dogg's new album "Malice in Wonderland" hits shelves on December 8th. Alicia Key's new album hits shelves the following week on December 15th. I hope everyone had a great Halloween. I am truely blessed.

Peace and God Bless,

Dos

No comments:

Post a Comment