Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Daily Rockets Word

The Time is Yao. That is what I have always said. The Time is Yao. Well, it’s not anymore. Panic mode struck me when Yao was limping around in Game 3 of the Western Conference Semi-finals against the LA Lakers. I felt as if I was sucker punched in the cahonas when I received a text message while still at the Toyota Center, which also serves as my sanctuary, saying that the injury did not look good. I had held out hope that Yao would pull another Rocky V moment when he went into the tunnel only to return to finish the game off in the first contest of the series. That game 1 moment was just like when Tommy “The Machine” Gunn knocked down Rocky and Mickey told him to get up for one more round because he loved him. I firmly believe the reason Yao was able to return to the floor in game 1 was due to me yelling at the television to get back out on the floor for one more round because The Rocket Nation Loved him. Yao is such a warrior. I’ve never heard him complain about a teammate and also have never heard a teammate complain about him. He has had to be told not to practice because coaches and others in the Rockets organization think he practices too much and too hard. It is just heartbreaking that he continuously has these injury problems, and for the first time, I’m afraid that he will never be what he could be- one of the greatest centers of all time. It’s tough to imagine the Rockets without his services next year. It’s become tough to stay optimistic about next year. But one thing I have learned from following the Rockets- something amazing will always happen. Whether it is Von Wafer hitting 7 3’s in the final preseason game of the year to beat out DJ Strawberry for the final roster spot and then becoming a key contributor, or winning 22 games in a row with game 13 being won by the Great White Hope Steve Novak on a 3 pointer at the buzzer, or taking the Lakers to 7 with what we had to work with, something incredible WILL happen. That is why I still have hope. It’s why I still believe. The Rockets Roster is filled with high character, hard working warriors that will create something special this coming season. So, while the time might not be Yao again until 2010, I can’t wait for the 2009 season to start. I am very interested to see the progress and potential of our young players when the Vegas Summer League gets going in a few days. Yao- please get well. We are all pulling for you. Go Rockets.

Thanks and God Bless

I am Tiger Woods

1 comment:

  1. "the Toyota center, which also serves as my sanctuary . . ."

    I love it.

    ReplyDelete