Monday, July 20, 2009

Thank You Tom Watson


Tom Watson turned back the clock last week starting on Thursday and going all the way to Sunday afternoon. I never get too emotional when something crazy happens in Sport to an athlete or team that I do not have a connection with. I've never been a Tom Watson fan. But, wow, he had me on his side this weekend. His play was magnificent. I admire the way he handled himself with such class and dignity. I have to say that I believe he was the BEST ball striker in the field. Beautiful swing with great balance and a follow through that the Dos Bomb admires. What a ride he took us on. I found myself having goosebumps when he birdied 17 and found the center of the fairway on 18. He said he hit the perfect 8 iron into the green on the 72nd hole and it just bounced a little too far. Anyway, he ended up not being able to beat Cink in the playoff and I really felt like someone punched me in the stomach. It was a depressing moment. I felt so bad for the man that had turned back the clock and had the Jug in his grasp only to lose it on the last hole. It really irritates me when people don't think this was a great story. I maintain that IF Tom Watson would have won the Open Championship it would have been the most meaningful and special moment that had taken place in Sport since I have been walking the Earth. When someone writes that him losing was good for golf, because if he had won it would have illustrated how weak the golfers are today thus diminishing Tiger Wood's game and his accomplishments, I get irate. It had nothing to do with other golfers not being as good; it had everything to do with how well Tom Watson played. The Open Championship is the tournament that a shorter hitter or older player can prevail in because the tournament is so much more about placement and knowing the shots to hit rather than just pure skill. Tom Watson had what it took....he just ran out of steam on the last hole. Tom- I'm a fan now. The way you handled yourself after the round was incredible. I'm forever a Watson believer and supporter after this performance. The look on your face walking up 18 in the playoff showed me something- that you hate to lose more than you love to win, and that is what it's all about. Thanks for the ride you took us all on this weekend at Turnberry and I will be watching and pulling for you this week at the Senior Open Championship. Shot out to my boy Chuck Wagon as well.

Dos Magnificent

No comments:

Post a Comment