Monday, July 20, 2009

Life Hurts but continues

I was fortunate enough to be allowed to post on this great blog thanks to my life long budy dos (who I recently beat on the back 9 at Lakeside). I hope everyone enjoys my horribly conservative and right wing views about sports and life and if not, go cry to the President, Im certain he is itching to get involved. There have been two recent sporting events that made me proud to be an American which is a feeling that I have not felt for some time. There is a parallel between life and sports and anyone who disagrees has probably spent their entire life behind a desk and not experienced much. I recently experience two gut churning moments while watching Andy Roddick lose at Wimbledon and Tom Watson lose at the British. Both were huge underdogs and both made the match and the round last much longer than it should have. Roddick took the best player of our generation into extra sets and Watson lasted all the way to a playoff. Here is what I respect about these two men. They had a goal and they gave everthing they had to achieve it with not regrets. They did not look for assistance and did not make excuses, they simply went out and performed to the best of their God given abilities. You know if Obama had his way (and here is my political discussion for this article) Roddick and Watson would have been "bailed out" and probably been given a couple of strokes because competition is slowing dying in our society. Both men had no one to look to (Watson had a Caddy but in the end its him versus the field) and only themselves to blame if something went wrong. I was proud of both of them for their success in reaching the point that allowed them to possibly win the championship and I am damn proud of how hard they fought for something they wanted. If everyone had the spirit of these two men instead of looking for someone to bail them out and making excuses as to why their life went to hell, we would be a much better and stronger society. I believe Lou Holtz put it best in his book I recently read "Wins, Losses and Lessons" were he wrote that today people are too worried about their rights and not their responsibilities. We are all endowed with a responsibility to do everything we can to succeed and if we fail to find another way. This age we live in is an age of entitlement. Screw what you think you are entitled to, go out and prove you deserve and if you are fortunate enough you may get what you seek. If not, shut up and find another way. Hope yall enjoyed.


B-Dub(W)

No comments:

Post a Comment