Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A word from the BPE


Today, I found myself embroiled in a heated debate with a senior colleague over a question of paramount importance: which is the better of the two training scenes in Rocky IV?

Before taking a stand either way, let me state the obvious: both scenes rule creation. I would go so far as to say that the seven minutes where Rocky trains in the Russian wilderness are the greatest contiguous seven minutes in all of cinematic history. I'm somewhat ambivalent about the 60 seconds in the middle where Adrian shows up and declares to her husband that she's with him "no matter what". On the one hand, I find the scene unnecessarily cheesy, and I also find myself wondering when Rocky had grown that full beard. On the other, the scene offers a welcome respite from the intensity of the three and a half minutes on either side.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer the first of the two training scenes (the one without lyrics). Rocky rises with the sun and bears the elements throughout, all under the constant supervision of his "official chaperones". Rocky runs down a river (1:25 mark) while Drago runs on an indoor track. Rocky helps a neighbor with his carriage while Drago uses a machine (1:40 mark). Rocky lifts firewood while Drago lifts a state of the art barbell (2:00 mark). Rocky chops down a tree while Drago picks on a puny Russians in a ring (3:00 mark).

The second training scene is great as well, don't get me wrong, but it's just a little too over the top for my liking. I can't say that I'm a fan of Rocky's chia pet beard. Too much of it is in the barn and there aren't enough scenes where Rocky's out in the wilderness. The part where Drago pops the roids . . . over the top. Adrian constantly looking on and nodding approvingly . . . not necessary. Rocky sprinting to outpace the chaperones and them crashing into a snow embankment . . . get real. Running up to the top of a tall mountain and hearing Rocky's shout of Drago echo throughout . . . please. Hearts on Fire is awesome, but it doesn't have the natural beauty of the first musical set without lyrics.

Please chime in with a comment offering up your thoughts on this important topic!

">

No comments:

Post a Comment